ONE YEAR INTERNATIONAL CULINARY DIPLOMA
The course is specifically aimed at those who have a keen interest in cooking and wish to develop their culinary skills to start working as a commis chef. The course covers all theoretical, practical and workplace components to enter the workforce with confidence after completion.
Students receive intensive practical & theoretical training at the school, and also spend time at one of the school’s approved professional hotel/restaurant partners to gain valuable realistic industry exposure, under the guidance of a mentor.
Only a limited number of students are accepted for each course intake to ensure optimal individual attention. Course intakes are in January and July each year.
By successfully completing this programme, you will be industry ready and fully employable and will obtain an international Highfield Level 2 Diploma and a Warwick’s Chef School Commis Chef Diploma. This one year qualification will give you the opportunity to enter the hospitality industry as a Commis chef to work in a restaurant or hotel ,as well as in catering companies and on cruise liners. The individual will then be able to climb the ladder to higher positions in the kitchen through hard work and experience
Learners develop their skills in the following areas:
- Maintaining Food Safety
- Maintaining Kitchen Safety & Hygiene
- First Aid & Fire Fighting
- Team Work & Communication
- Minimising Loss in the Food Operations Industry
- Menu Planning & Costing
- Nutrition, Allergens & Special Diets
- Cooking Methods & Principals
- Hospitality Studies & Catering Operations
- French Terminology
- Food preparation principals
- Cooking Dishes in all the food groups
- Work integrated learning
Minimum entry requirements
- Grade 10 National Certificate
- 18 years of age
2021 Course fees:
R 95 750.00 for the one year full time course
Payment plan options are available.
The following is included in the course fees:
- Theoretical and Hands-on Practical Training
- Recipes, workbooks, training manuals and printed notes.
- Files & clipboard
- Portfolio of Evidence
- 3 Chef Jackets, 2 pairs of Chef Trousers, 2 Aprons, 1 Scull Cap
- Basic knife set and bag
- Use of the school’s equipment
- All ingredients
- Examination Costs
Not included in the course fees:
- Non-slip closed black safety kitchen shoes
- Stationary (pens / notebook or paper / calculator)
- Exam re-writes / re-do’s