PART TIME INTERNATIONAL CERTIFICATE
This part time certificate programme is aimed at those who are currently working as a prep cook or sculler in a restaurant or hotel, and wishes to obtain a recognised qualification as an assistant chef / junior chef in the kitchen while they are employed.
This programme is also suitable for individuals with a keen interest in food preparation to enhance their kitchen skills and knowledge while obtaining a formal qualification.
Theory and practical components are covered with the focus on basic kitchen fundamentals.
By successfully completing this programme, you will have a sound knowledge of basic kitchen preparation methods and operations and you will be able to apply for a junior level position in the kitchen. You will obtain a Highfield Level 2 Certificate and a Warwick’s Chef School Certificate in Food Preparation.
The following subjects are covered:
- Food Safety and Hygiene
- Kitchen Safety, First Aid and Fire Fighting
- Basic Knife and Preparation Skills
- Cooking Methods and Principles
- Basic Costing and Food Waste Prevention
- Basic Nutrition
- Sectors of the hospitality industry
- Theory and practical training in the different food groups
Minimum entry requirements
- Grade 10 National Certificate
- 16 years of age
2021 Course fees:
R 19 500.00 for the 9-month part time course (classes once a week)
Payment plan options available
The following is included in the course fees:
- Theoretical and Hands-on Practical Training
- Recipes, workbook, training manual and printed notes.
- Portfolio of Evidence
- 1 Chef Jackets, 1 pairs of Chef Trousers, 1 Aprons, 1 Scull Cap
- Use of the school’s knives & equipment
- All ingredients
- Examination Costs
Not included in the course fees:
- Non-slip closed black safety kitchen shoes
- Stationery (pens / notebook or paper / calculator)
- Exam re-writes / re-do’s